Saturday, January 04, 2003

The Green House

1. Irony

I should have known I'd end up back here. This town has been my personal salvation, but also my eternal curse. So once I finally escaped, broke free after nearly ten years wasted in a hazy, sex and booze drenched post-collegiate limbo, and against all odds managed to make it to L.A., where my dreams of fortune and fame as an A-pic screenwriter finally seemed just around the bend, it figures that the only project of mine anyone was remotely interested in turned out to be all about the sinkhole of a place I thought I'd left behind forever. Newark fucking Delaware. Home to UD, the world's only Happy Fingers Massage Parlor located next to a Big Jawns, and the goddamned Green House.

Don't worry if you've never heard of my movie, my amazing magnum opus, The Green House. You're not alone. Except for my circle of college buddies and my ex-fiance's rich friends who we convinced to pony up enough dough to get the thing made, almost nobody has. We got rejected by Toronto, Telluride, Sundance, shit, they wouldn't even show my fucking movie in Burlington, Vermont! I didn't even know Burlington had a film festival.

And you want to know the funny part? It's still not yet finished! Ready for submission and release, maybe, but not done as far as I'm concerned. Three years ago this September we wrapped principal photography, two years ago completed all the necessary re-shoots and dialogue overdubs, with everyone nailing their lines far more brilliantly the second time around then they did during that first disastrous summer's shoot, and a year ago it all got edited down to a rough cut. Everything was coming up roses. Then, all the shit turned sour and really started to stink.

Now I can't wake up in the morning without this fucking digitized turkey laughing at me from deep within the cold, gleaming guts of my blueberry iMac, whispering to me, goading me, telling me that one more edit, one more sound cue, one more second shaved off the response time of a major joke's punchline will make all the difference and turn this sorry mess into gold. Pretty ironic, huh? All I wanted to do when I came to Newark was move into the Green House, all I wanted to do once I'd moved in was get out, and now, I've somehow doomed myself to live there forever, in a celluloid nightmare of my own making that seems to have no end.

When I showed up at UD, I was a freshman, a virgin, and a Princeton hater. I got over the first two quick enough, but the last part stuck with me. It had to do with what happened when I visited Princeton the previous spring. An innocent campus tour of the only one of America's pre-eminent, elite institutions within a two hour drive of home, aka Dover, Delaware.

My tour guide wasn't named Muffy, but she might as well have been, because she smiled and bantered her way through the tour in an oh-so-vacant way, pausing every few feet to wave to another Buffy or Biff who walked by us, and telegraph her obvious contempt at having to degrade herself by showing the kiddies around. We filed into the cafeteria for lunch, and as I was coming out of the line, I slipped on a patch of slick faux granite, or whatever the fuck kind of space age linoleum they had in there, and the entire contents of my tray went flying into the middle of the Princeton mess hall floor. A blonde girl wearing a tight sweater and insanely short checkered skirt whirled around and yelled, "Nice going, dork!" In a flash the whole lot of them were laughing at me, a sweet, helpless 17-year old with red hair and freckles from Dover, all the kids at tables, Muffy the tour guide, everybody. As I looked around the room at their cackling, moronic, in-bred, privileged, evil little faces, that's when I knew I was probably going to UD.

It felt like heaven just arriving on campus as one of the unwashed freshman masses at Delaware's finest state university, even though they stuck me in Neimers, this hideous ten story dorm that holds about 1,000 undergrads, conceived by an architect whose main line of work was designing prisons. Before long, I had discovered the finer points of life in Newark. That very first weekend, I skipped the wanna-be Princeton frat and sorority rush scene and went to a house party I heard about from a guy wearing a Smiths t-shirt who was buying two bottles of gin at Big Bertha's, which was the mom & pop-owned supermarket across from campus before they tore it down and put up a Be-Lo.

I walked up the lawn with the two coolest guys I'd met on my hall, and somebody fell off the roof, right in front of us. He landed in the middle of a tangle of thick roots that knotted up the entire front yard of this house, which was strewn with more empty beer cans and liquor bottles than I'd ever seen in my life. He looked up at me, smiled, and passed out. Later I found out he was DM'ing, probably swallowed a whole bottle. Sometimes when you drink that stuff you can fall to the floor and bounce right back up like a puppet on strings, but this guy wasn't so lucky.

Once we made our way through the clouds of cigarette smoke and shadowy bodies sprawled around the porch stoop, we stepped through the front door and found a raucous Green House party in full swing. They called it that because the whole outside of the house was painted lime green in ancient, peeling paint, even though we couldn't see it in the dark. The only light in the front room came from a single white beam trained on a huge disco ball suspended from the ceiling, spinning and reflecting all over the room, and two dingy colored bulbs in ornate, gothic looking plastic fixtures that hung above a fireplace along one wall. The room was full of bodies, the sound system blaring Deee-Lite's "Groove Is In The Heart," every window in sight steamed up and dripping with sweat. As I scanned the crowd of Newark's aspiring bohemians, scenesters, theater types, drag queens, small time campus cons and makeout artists, all of them writhing to the rhythms of Lady Miss Kier, I knew I had found a place where I could belong.

But it was the mural of Patty Hearst that clinched the deal. She covered an entire wall of one of the downstairs bedrooms, and she was beautiful. It was Patty as Tania, clutching a machine gun, in that scene caught on the security cameras when she helped the SLA rob some bank. I stared at her with awe, wondering how many similar nights of decadent debauchery she'd witnessed with her inscrutable, smiling gaze. One of the girls who lived in the house told me she was painted by a famous local hippy muralist who left similar murals on walls of houses all over the Newark neighborhoods that surrounded UD back in the 60's and 70's, but she was one of only two left. "All the rest got painted over," she said, with a sad, half-drunken giggle, as we stood and pondered the injustice of it all. Later that night, she forgot ever meeting me when a townie who played drums in a Ramones tribute band showed up, but we had our moment, worshipping beneath Patty's timeless image as the party raged around us. It was then that I vowed to myself that one day, I too would live in the Green House.

2. Memories

"Something wrong, man?"

Jonah had a funny look on his face as he put down the copy of Adult Video News he was thumbing through. "You know, we used to hang out at that house a lot back in the day."

Stanley giggled. "Yeah, wasn't your older brother like the head poobah of that place and shit? How come he isn't writing the script?"

Just then, Emma came rushing through the door to the break room, her eyes blazing. "Guys! What are you doing right now?" She almost bumped into Stanley, who was balancing on top of the refrigerator, methodically removing tiles from the ceiling.

Jonah shrugged. "Just hanging out, reading stuff."

"What's up, girl?" Stanley sneezed and stirred up a huge cloud of tile dust.

Emma collasped on the couch next to Jonah, all out of breath. "You would not believe what's going on out there. Remember that fucked up film crew you were telling me about?"

Jonah and Stanley exchanged glances, and it took Emma a second to catch her breath before continuing. "They're filming a scene from their little movie right now in downtown, the city's got the streets blocked off and everything, and two of the main characters are like, riding in this big lime green car being chased by a whole gang of neo-nazi type skinheads! Half the dumbasses in Wilmington are over there lining the streets trying to get themselves into a wide angle crowd shot."

Jonah rolled his eyes. "Very serendipitous, because we were just talking about that bullshit."

Stanley pulled out a flashlight and shined it up into the crawl space above the tiles. "Yeah, I bet your older brother's pissed. He should sue their asses."

Emma remembered. "Oh yeah, didn't he used to live in that house? What's the movie called, The Green House?"

"Right," said Jonah, "the movie's an Animal House rip-off cooked up by a dude named Brian who used to live there. He tried hard, but he's out of his depth trying to capture the true vibe of that place. Stan & I used to drive down to Newark and visit my brother there all the time with our Palestinian friend Firas, who we haven't seen in a couple of years."

Emma's eyes went wide. "I remember that cat! He was super political. Probably on an Israeli hitlist as we speak 'cuz of how outspoken he was about the Palestinian national liberation movement."

Now Stanley was on his toes, peering up into the crawl space, and his voice echoed a little. "That's heavy. Straight up, that place was mad cool. We were always going over there to get high."

Jonah laughed. "Every time we showed up someone was puffing a legendary amount of weed!"

Then Stanley got all serious, and sat down on the refrigerator, legs crossed in the lotus position. "But yo, Jonah's right. The Green House was about a lot more than smoking weed. It was like, all about diversity. Kids from different racial, sexual, gender, and national backgrounds, all living together in harmony united by their common bohemianism."

Jonah nodded. "Yeah, that place was like an underground United Nations. It didn't matter if you were black or white, Indian or Japanese, Bahamian or Bolivian. And it was totally co-ed, there were gay and straight cats living side by side, everybody was an artist, musician, writer, actor, or activist."

Emma pulled out a little plastic film canister and started packing a bowl. "Weren't you telling me that place was like ground central for all kinds of organizing? And how they had kids sleeping on the couches for a while who were national staffers of that SDS-like organization they were trying to found at UD?"

"Totally!" said Stanley. "One of those cats, his name was Ernesto, and he was this native American from Guatemala or somewhere. Worked in military intelligence, until he got radicalized. Or some weird shit like that. Anyway, we flowed by there one day, middle of summer, nobody in sight. Breeze blowing through the windows. Right when you passed through the living room, there was this little hallway at the bottom of the stairs with a really tall ceiling. That's where the phone was. So me and Jonah are both standing there, and he's about to use the phone, leave voice mail for his bro, when from directly above us comes this silly giggle. And we look up, and it's Ernesto!"

Jonah took the bowl from Emma and paused before lighting up. "He didn't even live there, he just liked to drop by the Green House every once in a while and meditate up in that little alcove, wedged between the walls." Then he took a long, slow hit, smoke curling out of his nostrils and drifting up towards the crawlspace above the ceiling tiles, before settling back into his corner of the couch.

3. Reality

"Whaaaatt?!" Zep shook his head, and his dreads waved from side to side. "At least your character's the lead."

George didn't look so excited. "Yeah, but the whole time, it's like the central joke is that he's still in grad school."

K'Gai set his drink down on the bar. "Remember when this place used to be Caffe Double? I used to come here all the time."

"When you weren't playing your flute, delivering newspapers, or blunted," laughed Zep.

"I don't see why you two are bent out of shape at all," said K'Gai, ignoring him. "They even called you up to go be in it. I didn't find out about it until those friends of Dexter's little brother told me, and they had me all worried. Stanley said I should sue their asses for character assassination. But then I read the script, and it's all good."

George downed the rest of his beer. "They made your character the right race, for one thing."

Zep doubled over, hysterical. Then he calmed down a little. "That was kinda fucked up. I didn't know about the shoot either, but I've DJ'ed at that house where they shot it plenty of times. If I'd showed up, and seen some white kid playing the DJ, but with my name? Yo, speaking of, I love Duncan's character. What'd they call him, Shakes?"

"Plus made him the original white negro. That was cute. Oh shit, fellas!" K'Gai had been staring at the bar's mirror, and now he spun around in his seat and pointed out the window. Outside, a very foxy looking sister passed by, headed to evening classes at UD.

"Nice," agreed George.

"Yo, why do you care about the grad school thing?" As soon as he said it, Zep felt K'Gai kick him underneath the stools, and he remembered. George was still in grad school, going on twelve years, and it was a sore subject. At least he was shooting for a PhD.

"I don't want to talk about it," said George.

4. More Stories

Stanley woke up with a start and almost fell off the refrigerator. "Shit, I feel all light headed. And my legs fell asleep."

"You're just stoned," laughed Emma. "Tell me some more stories about the Green House."

"The place was off the hook," said Stanley, not missing a beat. "Jonah's brother and his crew furnished the whole place with furniture stolen from UD, then masterminded these dope-ass campus-wide parties that drew like, 500 or 600 heads a crack to a wide-open den of all-night hedonism kids had only dreamed college would be like. Even when we'd go over there on a weeknight, there'd always be a crowd of like, ten or fifteen people just chilling, bullshitting, scheming. A 24-7 party. It was mad."

Jonah slouched a little further down on the couch. "Don't forget, the whole while they were pulling sophisticated pranks like disposing their used mattresses in the right-wing student body president's office, and cooking up mad political campaigns like electing their friends to the Newark city council and running grassroots voter registration campaigns at concerts all over Delaware, before there even was a Rock The Vote."

"Wow," said Emma, taking it all in.

Jonah smiled. "Bottom line, my brother's philosophical about the whole thing. Y'know, he didn't even live in the house by the time Brian showed up. His whole crew had pretty much graduated and passed the torch onto a new group of kids, whose ranks were slowly infiltrated by slack motherfuckers who let the place deteriorate until they were all kicked out for being slobs."

Suddenly, Stanley got all agitated. "Yeah, but what I find offensive is how this Brian guy based his whole movie on shit that went down back when we were hanging out there! And he's based his characters on real people, but selectively changed key aspects of their personas, and now they're nothing but frigging caricatures!"

"Right," said Emma, "so your beef is that you knew the cats who actually lived the life, and these other kids that the movie's based on just imitated it."

Stanley was still hot. "Be blunt, man! Dude is totally whitewashing this whole story, and relegating its non-white characters to predictable, played-out roles! The main character's white, but he's based on a hipster from NYC who was half-black and half Chinese. The secondary character's also white, but he's based on a guy whose real role at the Green House was somewhat incidental, aside from the comic relief he provided when he slept on the couch for a year while still commuting to school at Princeton."

"What about K'Jay?", said Jonah, struggling to keep his eyes open. "He's black."

Stanley was fuming, and looked like he might levitate into the crawl space. "Don't even get me started. Yeah, one of the major characters is black. And he's based on the coolest cat who lived there, this dread named K'Gai. Check it. His real name is Akinwole K'Gai. Very afrocentric. He was the editor of Black Think, the main organ of the Black Student Movement at UD, which was a sorry-ass newsletter before he get there and the hippest publication on campus when he left. Akinwole was admittedly the biggest pot smoker at the Green House. But he was an intellectual, politically engaged, and a seeker of truth."

Emma was speechless, and Jonah sat up, suddenly wide awake. "You're pissed because in the movie, he's this one-dimensional weedhead whose most political act is giving a speech to the crowd at the big party asking them to contribute to the keg."

Stanley continued. "Well, he does dose the neo-nazis with LSD at their meeting, which is cool, but even so, it's while he's there working as a waiter, I mean, on a catering job. Gimme a break. And to add insult to insult, his character's name is K'Jay. While we're on the subject, why is the DJ in the movie called DJ Zep, who was the real DJ at all the Green House parties, but he's played by a white guy instead of a black dread like the real DJ Zep? Why use his exact name if you're not going to be true to the icon? And it's not only a racial whitewashing, it's a political white-out, too! There's no overt political content in this flick whatsover!"

Emma shook her head. "That's really wack."

Jonah just shrugged. "It's called fictional license, guys."

5. Dreams

I guess I wan't too hung up over the would-be Princeton boneheads in the frat scene at UD, because I did end up joining a frat myself, eventually. It was Psi Fi, the cool, offbeat frat, but it was poor consolation. All the while the Green House continued to exist on the other side of Newark, starring a rotating cast of bohemians, musicians, and weirdos, and I'd sometimes end up at parties there, having a great time, still secretly wishing I lived there myself.

After I graduated, I settled into a hazy stretch of making up for too little time spent chasing girls and having fun while I was still in school. My career as a scenester lasted several years, and finally, through a strange twist of events, I fulfilled my ultimate Newark fantasy by moving into the Green House. Then, I don't know what happened. It was great and all, but the reality was a little less romantic than my dream. Nobody seemed to be in charge of the bills, the place was falling down around us, it was like a flophouse in search of a den mother. And at that stage of my life, I didn't have enough energy to reverse the trend. Within a year and a half, we all got kicked out so they could renovate the place and rent it out to sorority girls.

I took it as an omen, and headed for L.A., elated to have made it out of Newark before I turned thirty. I'm not even going to go into what happened to me when I got out to the West Coast. I went through periods afterwards when I was severely depressed that things hadn't fallen into place easier, convinced myself there was something wrong with my timing during those first crucial months, and that I had narrowly missed out on some chance meeting with someone, some director, or producer, or somebody, one of those fateful connections that could have made everything turn out differently for me. I'm also trying to forget about the backstabbing bunch who shared the group house I moved into just outside Brentwood, a place that made the Green House's dying, squabbling days look positively benign by comparison.

What I'm really trying to do in my movie is capture the magic that made me fall in love with the Green House to begin with. A lot of other people felt that magic too, and a lot of them have stories of their own to tell about the place. Even famous people lived in the Green House. There was Curtis Clintwood, star of several real blockbuster movies. Like Five Fingers of Tooth, which was the sequel to Tooth Chow, this movie about a vampire superhero from Hong Kong terrorizing the streets of Miami. Curtis was one of the victims, actually, he was one of Count Tooth's victim's victims, he was the young intern on duty in the ER at South Beach General when they brought in one of the streetwalkers who got bit by Count Tooth.

And Curtis also had a great role in Up From The Deep, about the giant octopus aliens who decide to conquer the world one day, not realizing Eric Stolz is on the case. An Eric Stolz action vehicle. Betcha didn't know one of those was around. Curtis played one of the desperados who are trying to hijack this floating casino that just happens to be anchored off the coast of Los Angeles when the alien octopus clan makes their bold move. You could tell which desperado he was right off the bat, all the rest of them were big, beefy, mercenary looking dudes, then there was Curtis, who weighs about 130 pounds wet. But he kicked some ass, anyway! He blow smoke in somebody's face, and punched some guy during a fight. This was before the octopus aliens ate him alive.

Then there was Penn Bolds, the famous singer songwriter with the piano keys of gold. Penn only lived in the Green House for a couple months one summer, he eventually moved out because he couldn't get any work done. Good thing he didn't move his piano in, because it might have fallen through the living floor right down into the basement, then the whole place would have been devoured by an angry plague of camel crickets. They lived down there by the hundreds.

Oh, and lots of bands used to pass through the Green House. There was a fully outfitted practice space in the basement, which the camel crickets loved, because they nested in the mattresses that blocked off the windows for soundproofing. There'd usually be at least a few practice sessions a week in the living room, and the bands would perform during parties. There was Veda Dada, Pine Street, and various short-lived incarnations of bands featuring Green House residents and ex-members of famous Newark outfits like Silverflake Father, and Superduperchunk. Hans Jowie from the Three Quarter Revolvers was in a band with my housemate George, the guy who became the lead character in my script, even though that character's also half based on me. People are always asking me how come that character's a white guy. Sure, George is half Jamaican and half Chinese, but I've got red hair and freckles, and I wrote the goddamned script, okay? It's my story, if you don't like it, go make your own movie! Besides, the only male lead we could find with any talent who was willing to work on a low-budget movie like ours had red hair and freckles!

I'm going to stop worrying about finishing the film, getting it accepted by some festival, or selling it to a cable channel as a last resort, and look on the bright side. By the time this movie finally hits the street, so much time will have passed that one of our previously unknown stars will probably have struck it famous, and then we'll get swept along on their magic carpet. It could happen. Then I can stop thinking about the phantom business meeting or small talk connection at a party I missed when I first got out to L.A. in '97, the crucial missed opportunity that closed Hollywood doors to me I never ever knew were open, and finally put the goddamned Green House behind me.

6. Whatever

"Look, fuck it," said Jonah, brightening up. "It doesn't matter anyway, because their budget is barely $150,000. The biggest stars are a kid who played the bully in A Christmas Story, and some unknown actor who had scenes in Crooklyn and Cop Land, but they all got cut out. Realistically, who's ever gonna see this movie?"

Stanley started climbing down from the refrigerator, shaking his head. "You so don't know that. And you forgot to mention that Heather Matzo-what's-her-name from Welcome To The Dollhouse is in this shit, too, she's a recognizable commodity."

Emma gasped. "Maybe some major studio will buy it and push it as a Can't Hardly Wait for the about-to-go-to-college set."

They all laughed, and Jonah handed Emma back her bowl. "Well, great, 'cuz then we can say we were there passing the blunt around and they got it all wrong."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home